From: mark millman <millman@us.ncipher.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) RTTW Questions (Spoilers--No Spoiler Space)
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 12:31:31

At 05:27 AM 05-02-01 -0800, Tim Boolos wrote:

> I guess I'll start.
>
> First, RTTW was the most fulfilling
> end to a series that I have ever read.
> I was in awe of the whole scope of
> what he accomplished and the end-
> ing with Remora surprised me.  Yes,
> I'll admit it I missed all the clues and
> was shaken when I realized the im-
> pact of that conversation with Re-
> mora.  I still can't get over how in-
> volved I was with the character and
> yet never figured out truly what was
> going on.
>
> So, here are a few questions for
> wiser heads like Alga and Mantis
> and Borksi.
>
> [snip]
>
> "I would never have used it while
> Nettle was alive", confused me, Jahlee
> didn't kill Nettle, did she?  Didn't
> Nettle go with Silk and Marble?
>
> [snip]

For the most part, I agree with David DiGiacomo's
answers.  For the question above, though, I'd suggest
that it's another example of Horn's and Silk's mem-
ories mixing.  "It" is the azoth, if I recall correctly (I
don't have the book here to check); he says "Nettle"
but means, I think, Hyacinth.  Note, if you will, that
this error is the opposite of the ones he was making
at the beginning of OBW; at that time, Hyacinth's
name often appeared when he meant Nettle, but by
this point, the substitutions have entirely reversed
themselves.

Nacre