From: "George M. Terry" <gmterry@ucdavis.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n037
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2001 09:15:27

Long time list observer, first time poster...

One of the things that struck me in RTW along this vein is the idea that
Horn's death/re-incarnation/resurrection is very Christ-like. He dies on
Green pretty selflessly, and is re-incarnated/resurrected as Silk.  This is
especially seen in the scene with Olivine at the Calde's palace where
Horn/Silk makes the offering of his body and blood in the form of bread and
wine to the Outsider.

Perhaps this movement of Horn->Silk mirrors the essence of the spiritual
journey for Gene Wolfe? I don't think that Horn is stupid...he knew Silk,
and even says at one point in RTW that he realizes he bears a physical
resemblance to Silk since returning to the Whorl. I think it represents a
basic humility in Horn.  Horn had previously immersed himself in Silk,
certainly viewing him as an model of what is 'right' and 'good'.  In his
journey, learning to love, learning the inhumi secret, he becomes more and
more like Silk, until at the moment of his death, dying for a mission of
compassion for New Viron, he actually becomes Silk. Would this not be the
goal that Wolfe would seek in his own life?

Ultimately I think that Horn merely 'incarnates' Silk, in much the way that
Jesus incarnated the divine logos. Any theory that looks at a 'trinity'
must include the Outsider, as well.

George Terry