From: dd@Adobe.COM (David DiGiacomo)
Subject: (whorl) Re: RTTW Questions (Spoilers- No Spoiler Space)
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 08:10:09

>From: Tim Boolos <timboolos@yahoo.com>
>Subject: RTTW Questions (Spoilers- No Spoiler Space)

>So, here are a few questions for wiser heads like Alga
>and Mantis and Borksi.

I certainly don't qualify, but I won't let that stop me.

>Maybe I missed it, but why did the 'divine' Silk
>possess Pig?

He was observing through the window as usual, and saw Pig kill the augur.
It seems in character for him to enter Pig to understand/save him.

>Are we now to accept that the Ghost of Patera Pike at
>the manteion was in fact a ghost?

A manifestation of the Neighbors?  (OK, not enough limbs.)

>What was the deal with Dr. Crane's ghost?  Was it
>brought on solely by being at/in Sick Bay?

Perhaps just a memory rather than a ghost.

>"I would never have used it while Nettle was alive",
>confused me, Jahlee didn't kill Nettle, did she?
>Didn't Nettle go with Silk and Marble?

That confused me also, but in fact he didn't "use it", so the statement
doesn't imply that Nettle is dead.

>Where was the Whorl going and why?  Aren't all/most of
>the landers gone?  If so why leave?

To another star, to continue the plan of Passilk.  We don't know how many
landers are left, where they are, or if it's possible to construct new
ones.  Sequel alert :-)

>If Silk is so GOOD, as Hoof and Clute suggest (and I
>believe, as well) why did he arrange to kill so many
>Inhumu, in the city on Green, and at the wedding?  One
>would think a saint would seek another way.

Perhaps Horn killed the Inhumu on Green.

After the wedding, he claims that he didn't intend the battle - that he
wished to kill only himself.  Of course, he did invite Gyrfalcon.

>Also "the men will be waiting for me to invade my son's
>village"?  What was that all about?

Horn led his bandits against Sinew's village to try to find a waveguide
coupling to repair the lander on Green.  (But why wouldn't Sinew give his
father whatever waveguide accessories he had?  Just out of spite?)

>What happened to Chenille and/or Auk?

We can hope that Horn arranged to free them on Green.

>How did Oreb get a black ring that morphed into Seawrak's ring?

I think the Mother gave it to Scylla, as she had given Seawrack the silver
ring.

>Finally the scene of Hyacinth's body.  What happened?
>It seems from the wounds that needed binding that Silk
>may indeed have committed/attempted, but surely the
>mere entrance to Silk's body of Horn's spirit wasn't
>enough for the body to physically recover.

Horn bound Silk's wounds with Hyacinth's hanky, and received first aid
from the corn farmer's wife and Tansy.  We know that Silk's body has
unusual recuperative powers.