From: "David Lebling" <dlebling@ucentric.com>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n117
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 08:29:29

On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, William Ansley wrote:

> And Pullman evidently regards the success of the first
> two volumes in the series to be a license to turns parts of the third book
> into a virulent anti-Catholic screed (thinly disguised but unmistakable).

Really? Anti-Christian, perhaps, but specifically anti-Catholic? Am I
misremembering, but in this universe, didn't John Calvin become pope? It
seems to me Pullman is mostly attacking the authoritarian streak that is
wide in many religions, including Calvinism and Catholicism.

And I wouldn't characterize it as even "thinly-disguised.".

    Dave Lebling
    aka vizcacha