From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: (whorl) Style
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:31:55

At 01:14 PM 2/26/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>I think I'm beginning to agree with those who think Mr Wolfe's
>riddle-me-this writing tactics are getting a bit out of hand.
>I don't want everything spelt out for me, and I appreciate his
>belief that you shouldn't have to be told something twice --
>but most of us grew up on pulp writers and the like, okay?
>Maybe there's a happy medium?
>
>--Dan'l

It's not just "pulp." It's pretty much all of traditional literature.

Someone brought up the fact that so many climactic events are off stage,
and we only get hints of them. I can understand this as "Horn's" rambling
style of memoir writing, devoid of a Nettle to edit him. But it seems that
the children also write this way in their part of RTTW, and that's odd.

Also, the children's part of RTTW reflects the many times that Father
talked about his experiences on the Whorl. Well, how long did Silkhorn hang
around New Viron? I got the impression that he left right away, but maybe
he stayed around for a year or so, and that's why the good-byes are not
really needed. I guess it would have taken some time for the entourage to
be collected....

Thoughts, anyone?

Patera Nutricious