From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) Horn Dies
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:26:09

>Blattid blatted:

>And isn't a Return to the World another word for
>resurrection?

Maybe. Or maybe an ascension, since in some sense "Silk" has just been
"resurrected." In a sense, Horn has "gone up to heaven" in answer to the
prayer for "daily" bread. Of course, that definitely mixes the metaphor,
since the Whorl is originally Egypt under Pharaoh, from which Moses
delivers the people, and even more it is the people of God under the Jewish
leaders (Ayuntamiento) and Romans (Pas etc.), from which Jesus delivers
those who trust Him. At the same time, since Horn goes UP to the Whorl as a
result of dying, the Whorl seems to shift into a partial image of heaven.
Since Old Pas has himself died and been resurrected into New Pas
(Constantine-like?), the Whorl can shift in (one) of its symbolic meanings
-- especially since Wolfe is not writing any kind of close allegory anyway.

FWIW: I'm a Reformed (Calvinist) former minister, now theologian; but on
the sacramental (real presence, not just symbol) side of that coterie. So,
I've got no problem with Wolfe's symbolism.

Patera Nutria