From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: (whorl) The Secret
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 14:54:38

I'm guessing that the secret has something to do with how Horn seems to
have given Jahlee a human soul.  Or that all of the inhumi whom Horn has
shown kindness to have found themselves unable to kill him, or even fully
devoted to him.

There's also that bit in IGJ where Horn mentions that the Vanished People
made the inhumi their slaves and that that led to their downfall.

Maybe the secret is that the humans can enslave the inhumi by loving
(showing kindness to?) them.  That seems slightly more practical and
unsettling than the idea we rejected before that maybe if humans changed
their nature and all loved each other, the inhumi would cease to be
monsters (why would the inhumi fear that?).

-Rostrum