From: mark millman <millman@us.ncipher.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Odds and Ends
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2001 12:18:59

Nutria,

I'm afraid I can't agree with your iron theory.  Wasn't Quetzal
killed by the wound from a slug gun?  Furthermore, I believe
(though I don't have my Long Sun books here for reference)
that we've been told how needlers work, and it's implied that
the needles must be ferromagnetic, if not actually ferrous (which
would be the obvious assumption), as the needle guns rely on
a principle similar to magnetic levitation to propel their needles
(i.e., they're hand-held railguns).  Although I assume that slugs
are made of lead, I can't see why they couldn't be made of soft
iron, other than the fact that it would be expensive and wasteful
to do so compared to using lead.

Besides, to be frank, the sword Horn was given didn't strike me
as being made of any conventional(ly human) material.

As far as your point (b), though, I'm in perfect agreement.

Nacre