From: "Alice Turner" <akt@attglobal.net>
Subject: (whorl) Falun Gong
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:15:40

Has anyone else been following the Falun Gong uprising in China? The NY
Times has covered it closely and I have been amazed at how familiar it all
sounds. Beijing could be Viron, governed by a repressive, corrupt, half-dead
Ayuntiemento, and here's this mystical popular uprising that seems to have
come out of nowhere--Falun Gong has only been in existence since 1994--and
captured the hearts of quite ordinary people, mostly middle-aged, all over
China. They have rallied in the most remarkable way, considering the
relative lack of modern communication in China. Just like Viron! I hope they
find their Mint.

Also yesterday there was a report of two women snoozing under a tree in Hyde
Park who were killed by a lightning bolt that stuck their underwire bras.
Now what writer, modernist, post-modernist, whatever, could possibly have
made that up?

-alga