From: Patri10629@aol.com
Subject: Re: (whorl) Wolfe's Editor on The Short Sun Books
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 07:38:33 EDT

Lupes,

This just in from David G. Hartwell, Gene's editor at TOR. I didn't think
he'd mind
if I shared this snippet about the Short Sun Trilogy.

9/25/99

"I just last night finished Return to the Whorl, which is so full of
surprises and marvels that I had to read it more slowly as I went, even
though I was eager to read it faster. You will understand later. But each
volume is more than the previous, and the whole is even more mind-expanding
than I imagined."

Exactly my experience in reading ON BLUE'S WATERS--torn between savoring,
gluttony and starving for more.

Words are truly incapable of saying just how beautiful I found this first
book to be.

I will read it two or three more times, then might have something to say.

Years ago Wolfe told a friend of mine (regarding the short sun books) that he
"wanted to make it so good it hurts."

It is so good it hurts.

Patrick O'Leary