From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis@sirius.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Typhon's Mission
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 16:04:53

Hello there Josh Smith, and welcome aboard!

FWIW (and that ain't much, since the new trilogy is about to begin and it
will probably give some new information), I think that:

1) Typhon launched the ship to make a colony by, of, and for Typhon (the
bright side of Typhon's egomania is the refusal to be pizza boy to a planet
of vampire  <g>).

2) The ship has been orbiting the target star for decades--maybe even 100
or 200 years.

3) Quetzal came onboard the ship =after= it arrived in his native star
system, not before.  (And he arrived by swimming through space--long ago,
on the _Queen Mary_, Gene Wolfe said some things to me that made it seem
likely that the inhumi [I'm forgetting my conjugation here] actually swim
through space, like the butterfly woman of TBOTNS, or like many of
Lovecraft's critters.)  If the ship has been orbiting for 100 years (the
end of Pas's planned time was one hundred years ago [II, p. 235]) then this
gives plenty of time for Q to come aboard and have his long career; if it
has only been orbiting for decades, then there are problems.