From: Patri10629@AOL.COM
Subject: Re: (whorl) Next Train a-loading
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 09:07:51

[Posted from WHORL, the mailing list for Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun]

My suggestion for the next wolfe train. Please nix this if it seems trivial.
I'll gladly concede to a more crucial question. Your call Mantis.

What was Wolfe trying to achieve  in the Talus Factory Tour scene?  What
essential narrative freight does it carry? It seems much ado about
nothing--all this detailed discussion of how to make the optimum Talus and
the bartering about tactics, the order and price? All of which amounts to
nothing in the greater scheme of things.What upsets Oreb so much that he
screams? Was it Maytera's hand being repaired, as someone suggested here?
It's just a puzzeling scene for me.

best

Patrick

<--prev V6 next-->