From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Little, Big: 52; Eigenblick
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 16:20:30

At 09:32 AM 5/8/00 -0700, you wrote:

>There's another 52 too, which hasn't been mentioned so far: 52 henchmen
>of Russell Eigenblick transformed into playing cards ("Fifty-two
>Pickup," VI, 4, p. 510).  This number doesn't include Eigenblick
>himself, who is turned into the Fool.

	In any pantheistic construction of reality, you have yin and yang,
positive and negative, good and evil -- somehow. Maybe there are "two"
decks of 52 cards, one positive and one negative. Fairies and anti-fairies.
Demons and gods. Those moving out of the Christian/Humanist world move both
ways or either way. Make sense?
	In which case, the "war" is not merely the red-herring I originally
thought. The negative 52 are "winter" and the positive 52 are "summer." And
they are involved in an eternal "war."
	As to the "cyclical" business: I submit that it will depend on a closer
description of what is actually cyclical. The allusions to the passage of
the seasons implies a cycle. The people of "our" world wind up with a
legend that someday Eigenblick will return. That implies to me that this
Tale will recur, and that Daily Alice & Co. will in time recruit new
future-fairies to replace them, and will move farther "within."

Nutricious