From: Michael Andre-Driussi <mantis@sirius.com>
Subject: (urth) "The Computer . . . " glimpse
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 07:01:53

>Hey, mantis, mind telling us something about this? With some quotes,
>maybe?
>
>> Adam wrote:
>>
>> >The Tarot discussion got me wondering whether Wolfe ever alludes to
>the
>> >Tarot.
>>
>> Gene Wolfe's "The Computer Iterates the Greater Trumps" won the
>Rhysling
>> Award for Best Long Poem in 1978.

Here is the beginning:

=====
"The Computer Iterates the Greater Trumps"

DIMENSION Trumps (21)
Do 1969 I, 1, 22
N = 22 - I
Trump (N)

Trump (21)
The _Universe_ includes by definition all
That Man has seen since his great fall.
God's calling card this, upon our silver Disch,
On what table?  In what house?  In what hall?

Trump (20)
The _666t Judgement_, and my screed betrays
Unlearnt foreknowledge of those coming days.
The angels come to smite the sea and land,
The anti-Christ for us--and slays.

Trump (19)
The _Sun_ the dancing children love,
Casts down his radiance from above.