From: Dan Rabin <danrabin@a.crl.com>
Subject: (urth) Different versions of "Forlesen"
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2000 20:23:55

I just finished reading "Forlesen" in _Orbit 14_, its original appearance.
Compared with the version in _Gene Wolfe's Book of Days_ as reprinted in
_Castle of Days_, this first published version is missing the encounters
with Abraham Beale and with Mr. Fleer.

I would guess that the shorter version was cut down from the original
submission, based on the several references to the "Bet-your-life" game in
the shorter version, a game that gets a somewhat explanatory mention in the
longer version that is absent in the shorter.

I wonder if he got paid for the missing ours...

  -- Dan Rabin