From: "Alice Turner" <pei047@attglobal.net>
Subject: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n158
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 11:26:18

Thomas questioned:

> Back to the question if there is a influence of Calvino on Wolfe: To finally
> settle this, one must know which of Calvino's books were when translated
> into English (and I don't know that). Or can Wolfe speak (or at least
> understand) Italian? It would generally be an interesting question  which
> languages Wolfe is versed in. To speak a foreign languages is a cultural
> influence which should not be underestimated.

Calvino's books have been available in English for decades. The one I reviewed (-Elephant Bangs Train-) came out in 1975 or so. Calvino is considered a major author here, and his books appeared in English within about a year of their Italian publication, i.e. as soon as Weaver could translate them. (I'm pretty sure Weaver translated them all; it's part of what has made his considerable reputation.) My guess is that Wolfe does not read Italian, or not beyond tourist's Italian, which is about what I have myself.

-alga