From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: RE: (urth) The Conciliator
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 09:25:54

At 12:01 PM 11/27/99 -0500, you wrote:

. The Urthes
>say that everything in the saga has three levels - the science-fictional
>(plot/world) significance, the literary (allusive) significance and the
>religious significance.

	Great summary. Gotta remember it.

 Your theory does nicely for the latter two: alas,
>it still doesn't explain how Erebus survives being land-bound and
>giant-sized. (One possible explanation: Erebus isn't really a giant.
>Another: He's a "chem," giant robot division.) Nor does it quite explain
>why the warm-water Abaia is in league with the ice-god Erebus. But you've
>reduced the number of things I worry about by one, for which I thank you.

	Dunno. But, Satan is frozen in a block of ice, as I recall. Mebbe old
Erebus is in some similar state: immobile, and operating through agents.
	As to the league with Abaia, I dunno. Frankly, the three times I read
Severian were years ago, and I really need to reread them in the light of
all the kinds of things other people have called attention to. I'm really
an observer when it comes to the Abaia-Erebus business, for I did not read
with that question in mind.

Nutria