From: Ron Hale-Evans <rwhe@apocalypse.org>
Subject: Re: Re: (urth) Fairy Tale logic? Bah!
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 16:15:35

At 06:30 PM 11/3/99 +0000, Tony Ellis wrote:

>Yes. As usual I'm joining the debate after all the clever
>stuff has been said, but count me in as a member of the
>NOT-fairy-tale-logic camp, too.

Well, if we are to take Wolfe at his word, he is quoted in _Lexicon
Urthus_, p. 159 as saying in an interview, "I view The Book of the New Sun
as science fantasy -- by which I mean a science-fiction story told with the
outlook, the flavor of fantasy. There are _no_ fantasy elements involved --
no "magic" in the fantasy sense...." (emphasis in original).

From the lupine mouth. The interview is dated 1983. I suppose we can claim
that Wolfe was misleading the interviewer, or that he later changed his
mind, but...

Ron H-E
--
Ron Hale-Evans: rwhe@apocalypse.org  ... <http://www.apocalypse.org/~rwhe/>