From: "Daniel Fusch" <dfusch@hotmail.com>
Subject: (urth) natural theology, argument from design, Wolfe, and other matters
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 1999 15:57:35 PST

Jeremy:

(snip)
"I believe you are referring to "natural theology" or the argument from
design, which is the belief that since the world was created by a
supernatural being, we (humans) can detect the hand of this god in nature."

I think you may have a few very different things mixed up here.

The "argument from design" is a much more modern theological supposition
that argues:

1) A design implies the existence of a designer.
2) The universe conforms to an orderly and precise design.
3) The universe implies the existence of its designer.

Natural theology, on the other hand, is a much older and more complex
ideology. As I understand it, natural theology argues, among other things,
that because the world was created by a supernatural being, that being can
intervene in the affairs of the world, producing miracles.

Wolfe, however, is presenting us with a third set of philosophical
suppositions, quite separate from these other two. (And I don't know whether
Wolfe is advocating these ideas or not--remember that Wolfe often presents
us with very different views on theology from different characters at
different points in the book.) The view here is that:

1) The rational or physical explanation of a miracle does not make the
miracle less miraculous.

2) A sort of chicken-and-the-egg paradox: did the miracle occur because of a
particular law of physics, or was that law of physics established because
the miracle needed to occur? (This is the sort of paradox that Wolfe is
constantly bringing up.)

The second of these points in a philosophical puzzle. The first point is
simply romanticism in a nutshell. That is, natural events are wondrous and
miraculous regardless of their scientific explanation.

Do you remember that chapter in "Charlotte's Web" when Dr. Dorian tells
Fern's mother that everyone has been so busy debating the recent miracles
that they've lost sight of the notion that the spider's web itself is a
miracle? That the spider's web-spinning instinct--and indeed all
instinct--is itself a miracle? In other words, knowledge of biochemistry
makes instinct no less miraculous.

Anyway, I think these are the ideologies at work in that passage.

--Daniel