From: "William H. Ansley" <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) Re: Digest urth.v028.n066
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1999 00:24:34

Patri10629@aol.com <Patrick O'Leary> wrote:

>And let me be frank. No, really frank.

Hi, Frank.

I don't know from modernism and while I have found this discussion (mostly)
interesting so far I have been content to let it wash over me without
participating. But I, too, want to put in a word for Philip K. Dick.

He certainly was a hack, but he was a great writer, too. One of the things
that sets him apart for me is that although his protagonists are almost
always people who would be labeled "losers" (at least in American society)
it is obvious that Dick deeply *cares* about these people and he makes you
care, too.

The only trace of PKD I have ever found in Wolfe (and it may be
coincidental, although at least one other person in this group has
commented on it) is in _There Are Doors_. The last few paragraphs, in
particular, have always evoked PKD's SF to me.

Has anyone here ever read any of PKD's nonSF? I have always meant to, but
never gotten around to it.

William Ansley