From: "Robert Borski" <rborski@coredcs.com>
Subject: (urth) Re: Casting Call
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 14:22:53

Haven't been to a movie in years and don't own a television (I'm
hearing-impaired and loathe close-captioning), so I'm a little out of touch
when it comes to current actors and actresses, but I still bear an enormous
fondness for the BBC production of "I, Claudius."

Indeed, if anyone could break down the Book of the New Sun into manageable
episodes, I believe it would be the late Jack Pulman, screenwriter for the
I,C series.

I also believe that most of the I,C cast would be appropriate in one way or
another for roles in any cinematic version of New Sun. To wit:

Severian  -- Patrick Stewart
Baldanders or Typhon  --  Brian Blessed
Agia  --  Sian Phillips
Appian, the old autarch  --  Sir Derek Jacobi
Dr. Talos  --  John Hurt
Jolenta  --  Sheila White

Of course, given the influence of Robert Graves on New Sun, perhaps it's
only natural to find correspondences between the paired works, fictive and
cinematic, even if one half of the latter will likely never be.

Then again, after an earlier production of I, Claudius starring Charles
Laughton and Merle Oberon failed, Robert Graves himself, citing the
possibly hostile spirit of the original Claudius, opined his work might not
be filmable--so who knows?

Robert Borski