From: "Alice Turner" <al@interport.net>
Subject: (urth) Casting Call
Date: Tue, 12 May 1998 21:00:10

Okay, we've got lots of serious subjects cooking. How about a frivolous one?
Surely all of us have an an occasional fantasy of a dream production of
these books. Who would you cast? Because we're all of different ages (I
presume), let's say that the actor doesn't have to be his or her current
age--usually, that would mean that s/he would be a younger version. I'd
start with:

Severian: Daniel Day-Lewis
Dorcas: Sissy Spacek. Claire Danes might do as a younger version.
Dr. Talos: Dustin Hoffman
Baldanders: that guy who's in the Billy Crystal movie, though it could be a
computer-enhanced Arnold, I guess.
The Autarch: Alec Guinness. If you want to go younger, Kevin Spacey (who
could also do Talos).
Vodalus: Willem DaFoe
Thecla: Most of you are probably too young to have seen Vanessa Redgrave as
drop-dead in -Morgan- or -Blow-Up-, but she would have been divine.
Sigourney would have been pretty terrific too.
Jolenta: Well, Marilyn, but can we think of someone still alive?
Agia: I draw a blank, but it should be somebody pretty vibrant.

Okay, that's a start. Please disagree, and add. This would also be fun with
the whorl list.

-alga-