From: "Dan'l Danehy Oakes" <DDANEHYO@us.oracle.com>
Subject: (urth) Stuff to read...
Date: 07 May 98 07:46:45

J.Shultz wrote:

> Speaking of this, anyone have any suggestions for further reading.

Further than what?  8*)

You might check out the recent discussion of a "syllabus" for
an introductory BotNS class.  There's been a lot of good stuff
mentioned there (and some real trash).

> I'm hungry for a good story and I can get lost in a bookstore for
> hours without ever making a decision.  Any help in the right
> direction would be appreciated.

Hoom.  Well, there are a few SF writers out there with literary
aspirations and executions as high as Wolfe, or nearly so:  Dan
Simmons comes to mind, as does Samuel R. Delany.  Ursula K. Le Guin
-- though she seems less likely to appeal to a Wolfe fan.  Tim
Powers is not quite as good, but packs a lot of layers of meaning
into his work anyway.

A few individual books I've read lately that I can recommend:  Matt
Ruff's "Sewer, Gas, and Electric," which is almost impossible to
describe.  A computerized ghost of Ayn Rand is a major character;
so is a giant flying shark.  If that doesn't grab you, forget it,
the book's not for you.  If it does -- the book is a major hoot.

Say:  what ever happened to the idea of "Wolfe" and "Lupine"
lists...?

-- Roach