From: C R Culver <CRCulver@aol.com>
Subject: Re:  (urth) The Two Severians
Date: Fri, 1 May 1998 22:22:40 EDT

Mantis hypothesised:
<where he was about to grusomely kill the drover whose whip had struck Dorcas,
<shazam!> drover killed by his own horses.>

I think myself that that was a more merciful death than the "two apricots."

< Where it seems that the same amount of time has flowed by (a
hundred years?).>

Can it be that long? How have Odilo and Pega and the other lass lived so long?

<he can't go into the future at all . . . he can only go to the Present
as defined by the white fountain!>

That is, perhaps, because the future hasn't happened yet, and a Severian3
hasn't come about.

<At that moment, it seems to me, Severian2 has become Severian1>

It's ever so nice to see you using my terminology, Mantis <g>

<Then there is the enigma of the Atrium of Time.  Perhaps it resides
in the Real Present . . .>

I've always thought of the AoT as being the same kid of place that Madregot
flows through, i.e. outside the general scheme of Time. But, those people and
houses had to come from somewhere.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html