From: CRCulver@aol.com
Subject: Re:  (urth)Let'sDoTheTimeWarpAgn!
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 1998 21:22:11

Mantis asked:
>[then,] why does Severian only have his super powers when line-of-sight to
the White Fountain is unobstructed?<

     This evening, whilst reading a copy of _Shadow and Claw_ up at the local
bookstore, I was surprised to see a rather interesting and prophetic comment
by the the Cumaean:

Hildegrin (I think): Then what hampers us?

Cumaean: Nothing, the star is in the ascendant.

     Seems to me like the Cumaean knew for sure that the New Sun would come,
and maybe she knew Severian would have powers as it was rising, perhaps
because she knew/assumed that the Apu-Puncahu of the Stone Town was the
post-deluge Severian. As I read deeper and deeper into the Book, I find more
lines of this sort, that are indeed easy to miss.

Christopher R. Culver <crculver@aol.com>
http://members.aol.com/crculver/index.html
"Ignorance, that light of fools steers a wayward path"
-Brendan Perry

<--prev V6 next-->