From: David Wells <adw@ovum.com>
Subject: (urth) Free will in BOtNS
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 1998 18:33:00 +0000

(apologies for the length of this - I'm rarely able to post here)

Recent discussions have raised this fascinating subject (Free Will in
BOtNS), which has always intrigued me. The (apparently radical)
manipulation of Severian's life by outside forces seems to me (an atheist
determinist) a brilliant metaphor for the hardest test which life throws
at us - the realization that some or all of our "Free Will" may be
entirely illusory. But it sits uneasily with the view I would expect
given knowledge of Wolfe's spiritual orientation. Especially as
Severian's actions are Judged for the salvation of all mankind(*) - this
seems a bit of a cheat since arguably the judge was pulling the strings
all along (I am trivializing the argument, but I'm sure you see what I
mean).

In similar vein, I have often toyed with the idea of analyzing Severian's
"deaths" through the series. There seem to be at least four types of
(near-)demise:
 1) Severian _really_ dies in the timeline we are reading about, and
neither supernatural intervention nor the Claw/New Sun can save him. (But
the only time this happens(?) he is resurrected as an aquastor (eilodon?
I can never recall the difference) so that he can save mankind after his
own death...)
 2) Severian "really dies" in the timeline, but is supernaturally saved
by the Claw/New Sun. (e.g. shot by the Big Gun in the Citadel, the avern
duel)
 3) Severian nearly dies in the timeline, but is saved by the natural
intervention of a supernaturally-well-informed being (e.g. saved by the
Undine in Ch 1).
 4) Severian nearly dies in the timeline, but is saved by natural good
luck/skill/heroism, etc. There are surprisingly few examples of this -
given that such hero-escapes-from-peril stuff is the very basis of most
"fantasy" fiction - but Severian's besting of Typhon is a spectacular
example (also his escape from the notules and from death in battle, I
guess). But I imagine that if Severian had failed to heroically survive
these, they would have been "converted" to a type 3)...

But what really puzzles me is how the "Apu Punchau experience" fits into
this...

newt

(*) I was initially completely wowed by the idea that Severian wasn't
actually going to be "tested", but simply called to account for the
actions of his life. What a fascinating concept. It took me an amazingly
long time to figure out where this idea came from (yes, OK, stop laughing
out there - but I simply don't think about religious ideas on a day to
day basis).

<--prev V6 next-->