From: Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (urth) the Castle
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 1997 07:07:12

At 10:15 AM 6/23/97 -0500, you wrote:

>[Posted from URTH, a mailing list about Gene Wolfe's New Sun and other works]
>
>Jim Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net> wrote:
>
>> ...I initially took Anne Schildler (Castleview) in a
>>negative light, but she's looking for the Castle (church; kingdom of God)
>>also. Thus, I think it is mainly a matter of Wolfe's writing primarily
>>about male protagonists.
>
>The castle is the Church? That hadn't come into my mind at all. What
>indications are there in CASTLEVIEW that this is so? I would have
>thought that the Castle represented the power of imagination and of
>myth, and served as a reminder that reality is not necessarily as we
>think it is. What Christian symbolism did you see in the Castle? How can
>it be the Kingdom of God if it is inhabited by such signally
>un-Christian personages as Morgana and Thor (leading the Wild Hunt)?

	Sorry. E-mailish briefitudinousness overcame me. The castle clearly varies
according to perspective: for some it is a spaceship; just as the wild
ride/hunt is perceived differently. I take it as the kind of ideal home,
connected to the transcendent, of which the Church is the purest and proper
form. But perhaps I should re-read.

	Does that help?

Nutria

<--prev V2 next-->