From: "Peacefrog" <peacefrog4@crosswinds.net>
Subject: (whorl) First time poster & thoughts on Scylla
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 23:13:08

Hi!

I'd just like to introduce myself and start off with the cliche, "First time
poster, long time lurker."

I noticed there hasn't been much activity on the list for some time now and
I thought I'd take the opportunity to jump in with an observation. I
recently started going back through On Blue's Waters and I noticed something
that might help to settle one of the numerous debates that have gone on
here.

Earlier this year, there were some who expressed their annoyance with the
sudden introduction of Scylla-hiding-in-Oreb and thought that the idea
seemed tacked on and unnecessary in the greater context of the trilogy. I
was one of those people. It seemed as if Gene Wolfe was coming out of left
field. It didn't really bother me as much as it did to some, but I thought
it was weak nonetheless.

Then on page 60 of the hardcover edition of OBW, in the middle of the first
paragraph, it describes Horn's prayer to "whatever god might hear" (but
mostly to the Outsider) that he be given wind for his becalmed sloop. One of
the things he promises to the god who grants his wish is that he (Horn) will
"do anything in my power to bring them both here if they were not hear
already." The duo he is referring to are Pas and Scylla.

In that same scene, Horn expresses his loneliness and isolation in the
middle of the sea. The Outsider cures this condition by sending him a
visitor in the form of a giant leatherskin. Is it not possible that the
Outsider also allows Horn to bring Scylla to Blue just as he promised? In
the form of a certain night chough we all know and love?

It might then be argued that the Pas half of the bargain was also fulfilled
when Passilk came to Blue riding Horn's gray matter. In that light, it makes
sense to me that Scylla would play such an "unforeseen" part in Horn/Silk's
journeys.

The Outsider grants the supplications of the somewhat-faithful, but in
unexpected ways. Kind of like, "Be careful what you wish for. It might come
true."

If this has already been discussed before, I apologize. I admit that I
haven't read all the postings here, but I have read most of them. That's
all. Hope to see some more activity here soon!

Peacefrog
"A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle."