From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <ddanehy@siebel.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) Re: Fan fic Fooey?  Fooey
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2001 09:19:32

> In my classical readings, I've come across references to
> pseudipigraphia which are outside of the Jewish and Christian
> traditions--much later works attributed to Virgil and suchlike.

Yep. And the idea persists in the Christian tradition well beyond
the time of the apostles: an excellent example being a set of
works which were probably by a Syrian monk in the 5th or 6th
century, but widely accepted for a long time as the work of
Dionysius the Areopagite (a guy who Paul converted in Acts),
and were so important in the development of theology that they're
still in circulation (as the "work of Pseudo-Dionysius").

> Heck, think of Plato--he wrote dozens of books which put his
> own thoughts in the mouth of Sophocles.

No. No way I'm touching this one. Uh-uh.

--Dan'l