From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Silkhorn^H^H^H^H and Severian
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 12:30:20

         Hmmm. Others have objected that Silk merely recognizes who he has
been all along at the end, but I've never been happy with that. I think you
are on to something really important. I think up to this point, the
Narrator really has been Horn in Silk's body, and that then Silk is
resurrected in some important sense, with the result that both are now
alive in Silk's body at the end. In fact, given how Severian himself
exists, I'd say Silk is now primary, with Horn alive inside him, as Thecla
and others are alive inside of Severian. Silk is primary, like Severian,
because it is Silk's body and not Horn's.
         I'm thinking too of the words of the Neighbor, that Silk's
"spirit" is dying. Clearly Silk's body does not die. When Silk's spirit is
resurrected (and as Dan'l noted, he is in astral form, so a "spirit"
resurrection makes perfect sense), it takes back over Silk's body, and Horn
recedes to a Thecla status. Like Thecla, Horn's body is dead, but his
spirit still lives, in Silk.
         Your thesis supports my "Christian theology" contention that
Horn-Narrator has been living off the body and blood of Silk, and adds to
it that after Silk's resurrection, Horn lives "in Silk." Both are core
aspects of Christian thought (Christians live off the body and blood of the
crucified Christ; Christians life "in" the resurrected Christ), and it
makes a lot of sense to me that Wolfe would play with both ideas.
         I like your thesis a lot. It justifies what seems like a wholly
gratuitous introduction of Severian into the text, and I think it ties up a
lot of questions. I'm on your side (for now anyway).

Nutria