From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) About the secret of the inhumi, again (RTTW spoilers)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 09:07:02

on 4/24/01 8:29 AM, Spectacled Bear at spectacled.bear@pobox.com wrote:

> Have a look around August 2000 in the archives.
> Adam, you drew attention there to the Neighbour who takes Horn to the
> sewer saying that the Neighbours wanted to wake humans up, not to their
> danger but to their safety. Horn only understands this after Krait tells
> him the Secret, though it doesn't appear that the Neighbour is talking
> about that directly, but about some other implication of the sewer. No
> idea what, though.

I actually think I know this now (it just came to me).  There were thousands
of human corpses in the sewer, all drained of blood.  In combination with
the Secret, this indicates the tremendous amount of human blood the inhumi
need.  If the supply on Blue is cut off, they will have to consume their
slaves at a greater rate than they can reproduce or be replaced.

The fact that the inhumi do have a temporary "cushion" on Green indicates
that it's not necessary to provide 100% protection on Blue, just to reduce
the supply greatly.  So my earlier concerns about the impossibility of
protecting everyone are less applicable, though even providing 90%
protection would still be a major task.

--Adam