From: "Fernando Q. Gouvea" <fqgouvea@colby.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: teleporting inhumu
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 09:16:17

**** On Sat, 21 Apr 2001 00:56:49 -0500, "Robert Borski" <rborski@charter.net> said:

RB> Also: isn't the ring Oreb brings back a different ring? And as far as
RB> this being the instigator of Horn's astral travels, he's given the
RB> original ring early on by Seawrack, but despite access to an inhumu
RB> (Krait), never does any astral traveling. If you wish to argue this is
RB> because he has not been transformed by the Neighbors yet, why given him
RB> the ring in the first place--since it's unlikely the Neighbors know
RB> Horn will eventually be uploaded in Silk's body?

I'm not convinced the ring has anything to do with it either, but as to
Horn not engaging in astral travel: isn't there a sequence, when Horn is in
the pit, in which he suddenly finds himself back on the island with Nettle?
I don't have the book here, but if I'm remembering right that looks like a
first astral travel incident, completely involuntary on Horn's
part. Presumably, Krait is nearby at that point.

Fernando

--

Fernando Q. Gouvea
Department of Mathematics          Editor, FOCUS and MAA Online