From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Teleporting inhumi
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:26:38

N. Gevers objected to my mooted tweak of his proposal:

>Patera Nutria: no, I don't think the inhumi are
>teleporting from Green to Blue and then back again. If
>that were the case, Blue would be infested with them
>to a far greater degree than it is. I stick by my
>hypothesis, which is simply that the inhumi have been
>given a passive astral travel capacity, activatable
>only if a biological or honorary Neighbour is also
>present. This makes perfect sense textually; and
>teleportation adds nothing to my explanation of the
>Secret, the first explanation which is both fully
                    ^^^^                                         ^^^^
>accountable to the text and a sensible adumbration of
                                                   ^^^^^^
>the Secret as an offensive weapon.

         Nothing humble about you, Nick!  ;-)

         Yeah, I don't suppose my thought adds to the Secret, but I'm not
sure (yet) that I'm wrong. If inhumi can only teleport (on my supposition)
in the presence of others who've been to Blue and returned, perhaps not
that many would have made the trip. And after all, there are lots of humans
on Green.
         I agree with the other objection that there does not seem to be
any indication in the text for my hypothesis. Problem is, since flying
through space is out of the question, where is there any indication of
anything else at all?
         But back to your thesis. You're saying only Narrator can do astral
travel, not just any human, because of his Neighborliness. Well, is it the
ring? I'm not going to search 1000+ pages to find the allusions to the
ring, but as I recall Horn left the first ring on Green with his corpse.
But then he gets another. Is it the ring? And if so, maybe it's not inhumi
+ Neighbor that enables the travel, but inhumi + ring.
         And how about magic rings in traditional literature?
         I like your thesis, since it integrates the astral travel business
with the nature of the inhumi.

Nutria