From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) godlings
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:27:05

I have been thinking about the godlings for a while, but I can't say
I have really gotten anywhere. The large one that Horn|Silk
encounters is described as having bestial pointed ears, cavernous
nostrils, a huge mouth and relatively small eyes. To me this sounds
like a fairy-tale ogre. If I look up ogre on a web dictionary

http://www.yourdictionary.com/

I see the following etymology:

Etymology: French, probably ultimately from Latin Orcus, god of the underworld

This doesn't seem to get me anywhere except to provide a tiny bit of
tenuous support for Robert Borski's "Pig is a vehicle for Tartaros"
theory.

Oh, well.

I am not at all sure we can definitely say Pig is a bio and not a
chem. Chems are designed to look as much like bios as possible. For
example:

At 5:16 PM -0700 4/19/01, maa32 wrote:
>Maytera Marble's rusings indicate that she was once covered in
>flesh (this occurs even before she takes Rose's parts).

I don't think this is quite correct. Chems seem to have a skin of
flesh-like plastic when new. This has worn off of Maytera Marble
during her long lifetime. The prosthetic hands Marble took from
Maytera Rose look like an old lady's hands. But they cannot be
covered in flesh since, if I recall correctly, Marble reaches into a
sacrificial fire at some point during the Long Sun series (during an
Epiphany of Echidna, I think) and her hands (which are Rose's old
prosthetic hands at this point) are not harmed.

I assume that new chems must have artificial fingernails and hair if
the illusion is to be complete, so Pig would have those if he was a
chem. The fact that Silk|Horn's eye is transplanted into Pig really
proves nothing; Wolfe treats chem parts and prosthetic parts for bios
as interchangeable in the Long and Short Sun series [1]. This should
mean that bio parts could serve as prosthetic parts for chems.

One thing I really disagree with is that, if the godlings are chems,
they have anything to do with the super-taluses described in Long
Sun. (Sorry, alga.)

Taluses were built with cargo technology [2], they were basically
tanks with arms. They incorporated an AI chip "brain" that could not
be built with cargo technology. There is no evidence that cargo
technology could build chems. Even though the fact that godlings were
really, really big might make them easier to build in some ways, the
fact that they were capable of bipedal locomotion puts them beyond
the reach of cargo technology. The taluses didn't have legs at all,
they had treads. Even today we can barely build a robot that can
"walk like a man." [3]

It seems to make more sense to me that all godlings are bios, even
the big ones. This explains the different godling sizes naturally:
they grow. If all godlings are chems, then they (probably) cannot
grow and are constructed in various sizes for mysterious reasons.

Godlings certainly could be meant as vehicles for the gods of
mainframe, but why would they wait to use them until they got to a
planet. Even if that was Pas's plan, the rest of his family wasn't
following it. Can you see Echina or Scylla passing up the chance to
don the body of a gaint and terrorize people, if either of them could?

On the other hand, if the godlings are meant to act as an additional
spur to drive people off of the Whorl, they don't seem to be
necessary and they certainly don't seem more effective than the
droughts and darkness already are.

William Ansley

[1] I still think this is a weak point in the books, although some
have defended it. I certainly suppose that might be possible to make
robots out of parts that could all serve as replacements for various
human organs, but I am sure that the cost of designing and building
such robots would be astronomical compared to the cost of building
robots that were made of parts that did not all have to be compatible
with human biology. I assume Wolfe did this to achieve an effect. It
leads to a blurring of boundaries (how human are these chems, do they
have souls?) and SF reversals (Jonas replacing his mechanical parts
with biological tissue in the New Sun books, Marble taking parts from
the dead Rose). Wolfe has a similar confusion in New Sun; among his
characters, he has sailors that don't distinguish between sea-going
and space-going ships.

[2] The level of technology possessed by the passengers on the Whorl,
as opposed to the level of technology possessed by the builders of
the Whorl or even it's crew.

[3] You may well say I am arguing as if I still consider the Sun
books to be SF, although I said that I had abandoned that belief in
an earlier message. That's not exactly what I said but I will admit I
took a somewhat disingenuous position to make the rhetorical point
that I had problems with RttW that went far beyond its hard-SF
quotient.