From: maa32 <maa32@dana.ucc.nau.edu>
Subject: (whorl) why the problem with astral travel?
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 08:53:29

I really don't see why some are so distraught over Wolfe's use of a really big
Godling or astral travel.  Severian's relationship with the new sun seems
equally mysterious.  How can a man freely travel back and forth in time just
because he has some affinity with a star?  without mechanical "SF"
enhancement, how does Wolfe really explain Severian's connection?  How about
silk's auto-resurrection at the end of Calde of the Long Sun?  I really don't
think that access to the corridor of time is any different than travelling
through space with a mental projection.  The sorceror in Sword of the Lictor
is clearly a psionicist.  Is his mental fortitude any different than magic or
astral projection?  Does a device or genetic alteration allow him to use his
mental powers?  I don't think so.  According to A.D. + D., astral projection
is a well established psionic ability, as is conjunction with another mind.
The godlings might very well be mechanical.  who cares?