From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: The ending (was Re: (whorl) Not the Torah, but Torah-like)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:21:26

on 4/12/01 12:10 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes at ddanehy@siebel.com wrote:

> Adam hath writ:
>
>> or why he has to leave so quickly.
>
> As I've pointed out repeatedly, this is far from established, and
> at least some evidence points to the idea that he doesn't leave all
> that quickly. The events prior to the Bloody Wedding don't leave
> time for Nettle to have read the Narr's manuscript, but we know from
> one of the editorial asides in OBW that she has. I suspect that her
> having read it is one of the things that prompts her to accompany
> the Narr on his journey.
>
> Perhaps an actual statement of how long it was between the wedding
> and the departure would have been nice, but we know perfectly well
> that Mr Wolfe doesn't like to tell what he can hint at.

But, as I've pointed out, we do have an actual statement, and it doesn't fit
your scenario.  Daisy tells us that when she saw Silk for the last time, the
wedding was "a few days ago," (410) and Silk tells her they are leaving that
night (411).  If we need to allow more time for Nettle to read the
manuscript (and I'm not convinced we do), it must come between her arrival
in New Viron for the wedding and the wedding, not after the wedding.

--Adam