From: Adam Stephanides <adamsteph@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) To Adam: Christ in Eden
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 11:44:33

on 4/11/01 1:25 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes at ddanehy@siebel.com wrote:

>> Nor, for that matter, does Silkhorn's behavior on Blue strike me as
>> being particularly Christ-like, despite Hoof's description of him as
>> frighteningly good. (The more I think about this description, the
>> more it seems to me like cheating by Wolfe: an attempt to evoke by
>> fiat a reaction that his portrayal of Silkhorn hasn't made us feel.)
>
> Ummmm... I think, maybe, that Mr Wolfe does not _intend_ us to have
> the reaction to (Hoof'n'Hide's) Silk|Horn* that we had to Horn's Silk.

Do you mean Horn's Silk in TBOTLS, or Silkhorn's (i. e. the narrator's)
Silkhorn?  It's the latter I was talking about.

And I didn't find either Silkhorn's or Hoof'n'Hide's Silkhorn frighteningly
good.  (I wouldn't expect Silkhorn to talk about how good he was, of course,
but his actions didn't strike me as being frighteningly good.)  Truth to
tell, I found Silkhorn's disquisitions on morality and the gods more boring
than anything else.

--Adam