From: <akt@attglobal.net>
Subject: (whorl) Re: Digest whorl.v012.n094
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 12:57:20

Endy said:

> And if I may be so bold on another subject.  Alga I miss your
voice/insights
> here, even though I know you didn't like Wolfe's treatment of Jahlee
and
> women in general in this story.

Thank you, Endy. I've been away; also I only just got a copy of the book
(I read a galley earlier, which I no longer have), and taxes loom. But
it wasn't just the hasty and unconvincing Jahlee episode, the whole book
irritated me. This list has been struggling to find interpretations or
excuses for the author but, frankly, I think his editor should have
kicked his ass and made him tow the line. It's one thing when an author
deliberately makes an odd choice--to put the climax of a book off-stage,
for instance--and another when there is a hasty
let's-get-this-over-with-because-I'm-sick-of-it feeling to a whole book.
And that is how RttW reads to me. I know that others don't feel the same
way, but I'm sort of sick of it too, and that's why I'm lying low.

-alga