From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: Re: (whorl) merging
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 09:58:22

On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, maa32 wrote:

> What about those explicit errors in On Blue's Waters where he calls his son
> Horn and then concludes that he caught the ball, he won the game?  How much
> more explicitly can Horn communicate that he has merged with Silk?
> By the way, it's a real hoot to read the descriptions of Horn at the beginning
> of Lake of the Long Sun where Horn writes what a fine, handsome, and
> intelligent boy he is and then he and patera silk talk about the childhood
> toys they had (which come up again in RttW)

I'm sure Nettle put that stuff in about Horn in _Lake_ over his strenuous
objections.

Also, see the archives for my argument that the bit about catching the
ball and winning the game makes much more sense coming from Horn's persona
than from Silk's.  I don't see why Silk would even remember the details of
that game, much less have a habit of reminiscing about his athletic
triumphs over children, whereas Horn surely remembers well the first
chapter of his Book of Silk and sees it as a metaphor for helping others.

-Rostrum