From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: RE: (whorl) textual support for Silk suicide hypothesis
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 23:26:07

At 7:56 AM -0800 3/28/01, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
>Wombat (but the Kitchen Staff Supervisor is an _Aardvark_!) wrote:
>
>>  Yes, but Silk is a Wolfe hero who knows everything. :-)
>
>I think you have confused Wolfe heroes with Heinlein. (Uh, I mean
>Heinlein heroes.)
>
>--Blattid

It is an easy mistake to make in the SS books. I felt that Horn or
Horn/Silk or Silk or whatever you want to call him bore a very close
resemblance to the Heinleinian omnicompetent man, especially in IGJ
and RttW. He can beat up men half his age, armed only with a rotten
stick, plan, fight in and win battles and give advice to lovesick
teenage girls. And that's not the half of it!

The only thing I can see that sets him apart from a Heinlein hero is
his is his raging self doubt and feelings of inadequacy, which I will
admit is a big difference,

William Ansley