From: Michael Straight <straight@email.unc.edu>
Subject: (whorl) Wolfe's Apology
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 10:09:49

When we sent off a list of interview questions to Wolfe about the Long Sun
books, mine was about whether Horn and Nettle had to make up some of the
scenes that they wouldn't have had much knowledge about, such as the bit
with Musk training the eagle with the kite.

So perhaps I can be forgiven for feeling, when Horn mentioned how the kite
builder told them stuff they put in their book, that Wolfe was talking
directly to me, and, when Horn mentions it for the THIRD time, that
Wolfe thinks my bulb is particuarly dim.

(And there are at least a couple more comments Horn makes about getting
information about Patera Q from time spent with him and from talking with
Patera R that also seemed to be addressing the same issue.  Cringe.)

"Thought you'd caught me out, eh?  Didn't think I'd properly thought out
this whole narrator business?  Well let me explain every detail slow-ly
and care-ful-ly."

On the other hand, I was greatly amused by Horn's comment about having a
mania for writing about conversations.  Yes, Gene, you certainly do.

-Rostrum