From: Dan Parmenter <dan@lec.com>
Subject: (whorl) point to Borski
Date: 23 Mar 2001 18:19:23

From: "Robert Borski" <rborski@charter.net>

> I doubt you'll find much support for the notion that Hierodule is a generic
> term for all aliens--unlike, say, cacogen, or as you mention, extrasolarian.

[...]

> Famulimus trilled, "Hierodule is 'holy slave.'" (p. 36)

> So clearly Wolfe is using "Hierodule" specifically to designate the
> aliens who hail from Yesod, not Briah or the front pages of the
> National Enquirer.

Okay, point taken.  I remembered the line about "holy slave" after I
posted.  I suppose the only legs that the Cumaean-as-Inhuma hypothesis
has left to stand on would require that a) Severian was wrong (as he
often is) about the Cumaean being a Hierodule or b) the Inhumi DO come
from Yesod, which is certainly an interesting thought.

Shellac