From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <ddanehy@siebel.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) Mutter matters
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 11:06:20

> 1) Are we agreed that the Mother can change shape?

If I recall correctly, she makes some part of herself look like a
human woman for Horn (and earlier for Seawrack). So she has some
kind of capacity for disguise, yes, but no ability to change her
mass -- as I recall Horn makes a comparison to an iceberg or a
mountain-island, that he sees the woman-shaped bit above the water
but the vast bulk of the Mother is below.

The short answer though is a limited yes.

> 2) By logical extension of the above-stated premise, does this mean
> that Greater Scylla can also change her shape?

In absence of actual knowledge I would guess that she has a similar
capacity.

> 3) How has Cilinia of Urth died?

Unknown.

> As she tells Horn, "I died young. It can't have been long after
> I was scanned for the Whorl." Unlike the process that creates Mr.
> Million, however, we know the scanning process doesn't kill,

Well, there are a few millenia of additional technology involved...

> But what has killed the eldest daughter of Pas?

Again, unable to say from available information.

> 4) Are we to make anything of the similarity in names "Cilinia"
> and "Scylla"? Or is this just more happy coincidence?

I make of it Mr Wolfe being cute. He likes futzing about with names.

Dan'l