From: William Ansley <wansley@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Re: Heads; Scylla; Four Eyes
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:49:35

At 12:13 PM -0600 3/13/01, Robert Borski wrote:
>Also: I'm still waiting for someone to explain Babbie's spectacles. No
>takers?

It's a joke!

As you quoted in an earlier message:

At 11:19 PM -0600 3/12/01, Robert Borski wrote:
>"Our boat was water, and Babbie was a hairy man with thick arms and real big
>shoulders, and glasses, and a couple of Babbie's eyes (the little ones)."

Babbie has more than two eyes, that's plain. It is consistent with
the "doubling" of other parts of Bluvian creatures (thanks Blattid)
that Babbie has four eyes. A man wearing glasses also has "four eyes."

I am sure this has occurred to all of you but you thought, "This
can't be what Wolfe really intends here!" Well, I think it is what he
intends. Anyone who can put a scene where Puss-in-Boots kills Mickey
Mouse* into _The Fifth Head of Cerberus_ (even if it is a
hallucination) is capable of anything.

*Yes, I will provide a reference for this scene, if anyone asks me to.

William Ansley

PS. Hmmmm... Babbie has four (or possibly more) eyes of different
sizes, eight limbs and is covered with bristles. Is Blue the planet
of the giant arachnids?