From: JISMULKSTIS@att.net
Subject: (whorl)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2001 13:48:59 +0000

I'm a long-time reader (all of Urth & Whorl archives,
Long/New/Short Sun multiple times) and have posted once
before.  I'd like to make a few observations:

Re Catholics:

I was raised Catholic, but have been a Militant Agnostic
since I was 13 in 1967.  You don't have to be a believer
to appreciate the power and resonance of Mr. Wolfe's use
of mythology, even current mythology to which he
subscribes.

I found the definition in the newsgroup
rec.arts.sf.written (I think):

An Agnostic says:

"I don't know whether or not there's a God.".

A Militant Agnostic says:

"I don't know whether or not there's a God.  And neither
do you."

Thoughts on Short Sun:

I liked it, overall, but I think some of the criticisms
posted here are valid.  Specifically, did the exposition
have to be so damn oblique that many of the very
knowledgeable people here disagree about what happened?

Were Silk's injuries caused by an attempted suicide or a
fight?  Both viewpoints have been argued here and I'm
still not sure which I believe.  I prefer a fight, since
I just don't see sufficient motivation for Silk to
attempt suicide.  He seems more aware than that.

I also agree with those who deplored the fractured
locution of Wijzer, Olivine, etc.  It began to wear thin
after a while.  Especially Olivine.

There was some discussion here of what was meant
by "There is another possibility, which I am loathe to
mention" but no one suggested anything other than the
"Silk as inhumu" theory, which I don't buy.  Wouldn't
that mean that Silk hatched from an egg?  Nah.

At the same time, that line just BEGS for some analysis
and speculation.  I can picture the smile on Gene's face
when he wrote that.

I'm sure it means something, but I don't know what.  Any
ideas?  You people are really good at this.

Quick question:  Does anyone know who originated the
saying "The more I know people, the more I like
animals."?  I personally couldn't agree more...

Muskrat