From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Authorship of RTTW third-person sections (spoilers)
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2001 08:55:43

As long as we're on this topic, I personally found the revelation that Horn
had written the LS books, and that the children had written the 3rd person
parts of RTW, annoying. Wolfe has done this kind of "switchback" (or
whatever you call it) in many short stories, so that at the end we learn
that things are not what they have seemed and are impelled to re-read the
story (if we want to). Well, that's okay for a short story, but IMHO not
for a 1000+ page narrative. It feels to me like a stunt, and little more;
and to me it diminishes the narrative. It's not as if we have any "Real
Silk" to measure "Horn's Silk" by. Re-reading the narrative is not going to
get us any more than we already have, unless we get some kind of kick out
of trying to figure out how Horn and Nettle came by each bit of
information. And, as Adam and I have both pointed out, the children's parts
of RTW just read like plain old Wolfe, and that is not credible.
	Well, Wolfe has always done this kind of thing. It's clever in short
pieces, but I find it very annoying and rather pretentious in these long
narratives. But to each her/his own, I guess.

Patera Nutria