From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <ddanehy@siebel.com>
Subject: RE: (whorl) Re: Pig & Nettle & Seawrack & Horn
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 08:13:40

Patrick O'Leary wrote:

> The Trial in Dorp:
>
> Very few comments about this episode. Any thoughts?

Only that it's yet another example of Mr Wolfe's occasionally
annoying, clever-boots technique of narrating all around an
event, dropping bits of it here and there, but never actually
narrating it.

If you stop to think about it, how many of the critical
events of tBotSS take place offstage? The writerly, critical
aspect of my personality wants to say "too damn many."

I think this is one of the reasons I found RttW disappointing,
good though it is: I mentioned wanting the moon, sun, and all
the stars? Well, I think that they were there, but Wolfe didn't
bother to show them to us.

Aaaargh.

And it isn't laziness, and it isn't incompetent writing --
he certainly knows how to narrate a dramatic scene; he's
clearly doing it on purpose. But to what purpose?

--Dan'l