From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: (whorl) Horn Dies
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:11:24

 >3.2.2 His death is the necessary step that makes it possible
 >for Horn to bring corn back to the starving people of New
 >Viron -- the Wasteland,

THANK YOU! It all makes sense to me now. Yes, Horn has died. Got it.
Thank you. I'd missed this.

And it raises more thoughts for those of us sympathetic to Wolfe's
Christian standpoint. Silk's own death/resurrection does seem to lead to a
shift from animal sacrifices to bread & wine. We don't see this (as I
recall) in the Long Sun series, but Olivine is aware of it. But then Horn
recapitulates this experience, and comes to be "in union with Silk," and
says that the bread and wine he offers with Olivine is "his" body and
blood. Recall that according to Paul in 1 Corinthians, the bread represents
both Jesus and ALSO the Church. I now suspect that this is part of what is
going on.

Finally, I strongly suspect that the answer to the question of how the book
ends, one way or another, is that as both Silk and Horn have "died," yet both
continue to live IN SILK'S BODY.

Patera Nutria