From: James Jordan <jbjordan4@home.com>
Subject: Re: (whorl) FTP Pig; Clute's Review; Not Boredom
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 15:37:04

At 09:36 AM 2/22/2001 -0500, vizcacha wrote:

>I just reread Clute's review and I don't see where it says Horn is dead.
>"Enfolded," yes, they "write each other," yes. The closest he comes to
>saying Horn is dead is this: "By spending something like his life (but of
>course he has been something like dead for most of the trilogy) Horn
>succeeds in his quest and bids us farewell."
>
>I don't think this plus "deeply appreciates" is enough to declare Horn dead.
>Horn is dead in exactly the sense that Thecla, the old Autarch, and Pas
>himself are dead: they exist as remnant identities in another medium. Horn
>indeed bids us farewell at the end of RttW, but so does Silk.

         Well, I'm happier with such a view. The thought that Horn's last
words are "I should not have come back", followed by his departure from
this world, makes the trilogy into a real tragedy. Also, I don't understand
why Silk, who has never met Seawrack, would want her along on the way to
the Whorl (unless all these extended speculations about Hyacinth, Kypris,
etc. are valid -- but I'm a bit dubious about them).

Nutricious