From: James Jordan <jbjordan@gnt.net>
Subject: Re: (whorl) Horn Lives
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 10:38:04

At 01:20 PM 2/18/2001 -0600, you wrote:
>I'm not sure how I came to be the Official Defender of Silkhorn's Silkiness.
>But since nobody else has yet picked up the gauntlet you've thrown down, I
>guess it's up to me.

         Thanks.

>My first reaction to your post is that you're trashing the most moving scene
>in the book just to save a grotesque allegory.  Apart from that, some
>comments on specific points.

         For me the death of Jahlee was the most moving part of the book.

>And there are hundreds of pages of testimony from Weer that he's not dead,
>and dozens of pages from the prisoner in "V. R. T." that he's Marsch.

         True. I don't know that Wolfe is doing all that AGAIN, though.

>There's no evidence at all that Remora's report of his interview with Silk
>was distorted by his preconceptions.  And if nothing took place during this
>interview, if "Horn" just nodded at the end to shut Remora up as you suggest
>(or didn't nod at all), then why does "Horn" leave immediately afterwards,
>for ever, without seeing his sons again?

         Good question.

> > Sure, the kids who write the final chapters believe he is Silk. Of course
> > they do. And so does Remora. But there is no indication FROM THE NARRATOR
> > that he ever accepts this, is there?
>
>Yes, there is: at the end of Chapter 20, and in Silk's words to Daisy in the
>Afterword.  Your reasons for discounting these don't hold up.

         Yes, this is a problem for the Horn Lives viewpoint. But is Silk
the kind of man who cannot face saying farewell to people he has
unwittingly wronged? Okay, we can distinguish between Book Silk and Real
Silk, and say that Book Silk would never act this way, while Real Silk
might. But I'm not convinced this is enough. Wolfe is tricky, and I'm still
inclined to think that what Narr. tells Daisy is cryptic.

>There's no evidence that the appearance of people's astral selves changes as
>their character changes.  The inhumi's astral selves appear human, not
>because the inhumi are becoming more human, but because their spirits are
>human, taken from humans.

         You may be right. I'll have to reinvestigate.

>Two final questions for you:
>
>1) Why, according to your reading, does Horn never acknowledge that he is in
>Silk's body?

         Well, on my reading he does, at the end. But I recall a scene
where he looks at his arm to see a scar that was present on Silk's body,
and does not see it, thereby convincing himself that he is not in Silk's
body. (Anybody else recall this?)
         But the main reason, I think (today) is this: He wants to bring
Silk back. The Neighbor told him that he was going to enter the body of a
man whose spirit was departing. That means Silk is dead, and the proof is
that Horn is in Silk's body. Horn does not want to face this fact.

>2) If the scene with Remora is meaningless, why does Wolfe include it at
>all?  And why does he place it where he does, as the last chapter before the
>Afterword?

         Oh, I don't think it's meaningless. But I'm not sure the
characters understand what they report, as is often the case in Wolfe.
         We should start a separate string on this, I guess, but consider
the citation from the Chras. Writings:

Though trodden beneath the shepherd's heel,
The wild hyacinth blooms on the ground. (p. 408)

         Now, given how we have seen Silk and Horn (Silkhorn, Hornsilk,
whatever) interpret the CW in other parts of the seven books, how should we
interpret this? Surely NOT as some cryptic reference to the person of
Hyacinth! Let me give it a Silklike try:
         "Now, the shepherd is the master, who rules the land. Perhaps he
is the Outsider, or one of his agents. Because of our waywardness, there
are times when He must crush the blossoms in His garden; but not unto total
destruction. Rather, though they are trodden down, they will rise again. Do
not the Chrasmological Writings themselves say that a great flood must come
before a new sun can be born to give life to the garden of the whorl? I
wonder if this might refer to an event yet to come to the Red Sun Whorl
that we have visited....
         "A hyacinth is a flower of many possible colors, yet it seems we
usually associate it with purple. As Oreb is black because of the black
spaces of the Outsider's whorl, perhaps the hyacinth is also a picture of
the work of the Outsider. His people, those who follow Him, will come to
life again after those necessary times of judgment that He brings upon them."
         Bla bla blah... Well, I guess this could refer to Silk's coming to
life again after being trodden down. I guess that's what Remora thought.
But perhaps it means that wicked New Viron can come to life again, and this
is why "he wept."

         Well, I'm not settled in my understanding, but I still lean
heavily toward the Horn Lives interpretation. As you rightly point out,
it's the only view that makes sense to me in terms of the basic grid of the
seven books. "For Silk to live, Horn must die" seems to me to be the
OPPOSITE of everything the books are about. But, Wolfe can be tricky.

Patera Nutria